My mum has a non-visible disability, which causes her walking difficulties.  I heard something on the news about how she may now be eligible for a blue badge.  How can I find out about this and help her apply? 

On 30 August, the Blue Badge scheme was extended to people who live in England and have non-visible disabilities or conditions which affect their ability to walk, including long term problems caused by stress, anxiety or other mental health issues.  As a result, your mother may now qualify for a badge.

Your mother will be automatically eligible if she gets certain types of benefits. These include some categories of Personal Independence Payment and the higher rate mobility component of Disability Living Allowance.

If she’s not automatically eligible she can still apply for a badge.  Her local authority will use evidence from doctors and other healthcare professionals to determine whether she qualifies or not.

Your mother can check her eligibility and apply for a local authority-issued Blue Badge at  If she can’t do this herself, you can apply on her behalf.

You’ll need a recent digital passport-style photo, proof of her identity, address, details of any benefits she receives, her National Insurance number, and evidence of how her non-visible disability or condition affects her mobility.

More information about applying for a Blue Badge is available on the Citizens Advice website.  You can also get free confidential advice from Citizens Advice Cheshire West  by visiting your local office in Northwich, Chester or Winsford Monday to Friday between 9am and 12 midday and 1pm and 4pm.  Please note that we are closed for lunch between 12 midday and 1 pm.  In Ellesmere Port we are open Monday to Friday 9am - 2pm.  No appointment is necessary.  Or, phone 03445 76 61 11 Monday to Friday 10am-12.30pm and 1pm - 4pm

Copyright Citizens Advice.  For the most up-to-date advice, please visit our Citizens Advice public site.