Due to a recent change in the law, as of February 9 this year, unmarried but cohabiting couples with dependent children are now entitled to claim Bereavement Support Payments and Widowed Parent’s allowance.

Applications are now open for a surviving partner of an unmarried couple who were living together as though they were husband and wife to claim Bereavement Support Payment as long as the couple had children.

Applications can be made if the partner died after 6/4/2017. This follows a High Court Judgement on a case taken by CPAG on a case that involved one of our clients.

Applications can be made online or over the phone.

Lump sum payments will be disregarded as capital on means tested benefits for 12 months

Published: February 23, 2023

Skip to content
Give feedback...