We believe in the importance of making sure that you get all the help that you’re entitled to.  These pages give you information on benefits and tax credits if you are working or unemployed, sick or disabled, a parent, a young person, an older person or a veteran.  There is also information about council tax and housing costs, national insurance, payment of benefits and problems with benefits.

The Citizens Advice information site is the best place to start looking for help and advice. Click the button below.

Our Help to Claim advisers can help you with the early stages of your Universal Credit claim. You can talk to them on the phone, online over chat or using our British Sign Language (BSL) service.

Search here for contact details of organisations who may be able to help further.

Managing claims

Service Contact number or website Description
Help to Claim (through Citizens Advice) 0800 144 8444 

Guidance on claiming UC / New-style benefits with UC

UC Helpline - DWP not Citizens Advice 0800 328 5644 

Issues with existing UC claims

Job Centre Plus 0800 169 0310 

Issues with existing JSA, IS, IB, ESA claims

Job Centre Plus - ESA 0800 169 0350 

Claim line for old style CB or IR ESA

Maternity Allowance 0800 169 0280 

Helpline for Maternity Allowance claims and issues

Bereavement Benefits 0800 731 0139 

Helpline for claims and issues

PIP Claim Line 0800 917 2222 

Claim line / Extensions for PIP

PIP Enquiry Line 0800 121 4433 

Change of circs or issues regarding PIP

Attendance Allowance 0800 731 0122 

Claims and issues regarding AA

State Pension/Pension Credit 0800 731 7898 

Claim line

State Pension/Pension Credit Enquiry Line 0800 731 0469 

Change of circs or issues regarding SP/PC

Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit Claim Line 0800 121 8379 

As named

Child DLA Claim Line 0800 121 4600 

As described

CWAC - Council Tax Line 0300 123 7022 

Reductions, changes of circs, payment negotiation


Service Contact number or website Description
Dial House 01244 345 655  dialwestcheshire.org.uk 

Welfare benefits advice and support

British Legion 0808 802 8080  counties.britishlegion.org.uk 

Benefits, debt and housing for forces/ex-forces

Age UK Cheshire 01244 401 500  www.ageuk.org.uk 

Benefits and care issues for 50+ yr olds

Maternity Action 0808 802 0029  maternityaction.org.uk 

General benefit information for pregnant women and new mums

Working Families 0300 012 0312  workingfamilies.org.uk 

General benefit information for employed parents/carers

MoneyHelper 0800 011 3797  www.moneyhelper.org.uk 

Pensions advice – private and state

Pensionwise 0800 138 3944  www.moneyhelper.org.uk 

Guidance for those over 50 ys old with private pensions

Contact 0808 808 3555  contact.org.uk 

Guidance on Child DLA and matters affecting disabled children (no forms)

Carers Trust CW and Warrington 01244 400 502  cheshireandwarringtoncarers.org 

Advice/Support for carers – ALSO PIP2 FORMS

Carers UK 0808 808 7777  www.carersuk.org 

Advice on income, and general support for carers (Open over Xmas too)

Rethink 0808 801 0525  www.rethink.org 

For those affected by MH issues – Guidance around MH Act, money, care, benefits, carers’ needs


Service Contact number or website Description
Turn2us turn2us.org.uk 

Contains a basic benefit calculator, grants checker

Policy in Practice policyinpractice.co.uk 

Contains a better benefits calculator

Entitledto entitledto.co.uk 
Migrant Support migrantfamilies.nrpfnetwork.org.uk 


Service Contact number or website Description
Citizens Advice - Help Through Hardship 0808 208 2138 

Food Vouchers

Reuse Network reuse-network.org.uk 

National tool to find charitable support – furniture/white goods etc…

Biscuit Fund www.biscuitfund.org 

Charity for one off grant

Section 17 Payment 0300 123 7047 

Local authority has a duty to support welfare and development of children

HELP Scheme 0808 175 3599  www.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk 

Food and fuel assistance

Live Well Cheshire West livewell.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk 

Directory of community services and activities

HomeKey+ 0300 124 5289  homekeyplus.co.uk 

Help with grants, handy-person work, home adaptations

Financial Support Line 08081968845   survivingeconomicabuse.org 

Grants and benefits advice for domestic abuse survivors

Chester/ Ellesmere Port

Service Contact number or website Description
The Bread and Butter Thing www.cheshirewestandchester.gov.uk 

Provides affordable and good-quality food from two hubs in Ellesmere Port.

Share Hub 01244 662144 

Free meals and support – Presbyterian Church, City Road, CH1 3AS. Mon, Wed, Fri 11am-1230, Tue, Thurs 6pm-7.30pm

Crossroads Community Hub 07598 536 904  cchub.org.uk  hello@hbc.org.uk 

Self-referral for food package in Chester – Dickson’s Drive, CH2 2BN

Kids Bank Chester kidsbankchester.com 

Self-referral is ok for school uniforms

Port Grocery www.facebook.com/ThePortGroceryCIC/ 
Soul Kitchen soulkitchenchester.org.uk 

Food and homelessness drop-in – Campbell Community Hall, Boughton, CH3 5BR – Every Saturday at 5.30pm

People's Pantry www.facebook.com/peoplespantryEP 

Stanney Grange Community Centre, Alnwick Drive, CH65 9HE

Northwich/ Winsford

Service Contact number or website Description
Snow Angels www.snowangels.org.uk 

Community services for the elderly, including delivery of shopping / pre-arranged food parcels

Changing Lives Together 01606 827 120  www.changing-lives-together.org.uk 

Community group with cheap/donated furniture and white goods

Winsford Community Grocery 07949 165 098  www.facebook.com/theverygreengrocerywinsford 

Members get fresh food in exchange for £4 each time

Motherwell Cheshire (Winsford) 01606 557666  motherwellcheshirecio.com  motherwellhub@motherwellcheshirecio.com 

Self-referral for baby clothes, equipment and supplies

Community Food Hub (Northwich) www.northwichcommunity.com 

Members get supplies/food in exchange for £4 each time

Advice/ Options

Service Contact number or website Description
Energy Saving Advice Service 0300 123 1234 

Information on grants and schemes to save on energy

Green Doctor 03301 740863  www.groundwork.org.uk 

Application details for Green Doctor Scheme – energy saving (not for social tenants)

Simple Energy Advice 0800 444 202 

Info on grants and efficiency

CA Manchester Energy Advice Team www.citizensadvicemanchester.org.uk 


Service Contact number or website Description
Energy 0330 440 1624  www.energyombudsman.org 

For complaints if a company’s procedure has been exhausted

Skip to content
Give feedback...